Montreal Dickens Fellowship Study Questions: “Barnaby Rudge”
Westmount Public Library
June 6, 2017 1:00-3:00
Chapters 74 - 82
- Were you satisfied with the fates of the characters? Do you think the bad guys got what they deserved? Did the good reap their rewards to your satisfaction?
- Comment on the violence and gothic melodrama in this novel. Could it stand up to today’s action novel?
- Do you think there is hope for The Varden’s marriage?
- Do you think Dickens’s portrayal of “love” between Dolly and Joe and Emma and Edward was well done? Will they all live “Happily Ever After”?
- How did this novel compare to other Dickens novels you have read?
- Is this novel relevant to today’s reader?
- What were your favourite parts of the novel? Your least favourite?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend? To a Dickens reader?