Montreal Dickens Fellowship
for the best of times

Montreal Circa 1840s

Source:
Graham, Conrad. Mont Royal - Ville Marie: Early Plans and View of Montreal. Montreal: McCord Museum of Canadian History, 1992. Print
Montreal from the Opposite Bank
Frederick Clinton
p. 101
1839
Stacks Image 109


This view looks across the St. Lawrence River from the south shore to the west end of St. Helen's Island and the city of Montreal.

The boat in the foreground contains three soldiers, presumably Grenadier Guards, who were posted to Montreal in 1839.

Montreal from near the Lower Lachine Road
Philip John Bainbrigg
p. 105
about 1839
Stacks Image 112


This view, which looks north-east towards the city, was executed from the edge of the Montreal Common in Point St. Charles. The birch bark wigwam depicted in the foreground was still a common sight there in the mid-nineteenth century. Its owners are probably Mohawks from the reserve at Khanawake, which was situated on the shore opposite Lachine. The two native people portrayed on the right, paddling their canoe with poles, are not doubt looking for fish in the shallows. The woman crouching next to the wigwam is making a split ash basket probably intended for sale in the Montreal market.

The point of land jutting out into the river, on which stands a windmill, is the entrance to the Lachine Canal. Along the horizon, running from left to right, can be seen the bell tower of the old Notre-Dame Church, Christ Church and the Chapel of Bonsecours.
Champ de Mars, Montreal
Philip John Bainbrigge
p. 108
about 1838
Stacks Image 118



This view, which dates from about 1838, looks south-west from the Champ-de-Mars towards the spires and towers of Montreal's three main churches of the period. In the left foreground is the St. Gabriel Street Church of Scotland. A part of this Presbyterian church was assigned to the use of the troops, when any Scotch Regiments were quartered there.

In this scene, a military drill is taking place on the Champ-de-Mars. On the right, on St. Gabriel Street, is the neo-classical facade of the residence of David Ross, which was considered to be one of the finest Georgian buildings in the city at the time.

Place d'Armes and Catholic Church with
Procession of Fête-Dieu, Montreal
Philip John Bainbrigge
p. 110
1840
Stacks Image 121



Looking across from the south-west corner of Place d'Armes, with the procession of the Host moving off down Notre-Dame Street. In 1842, the citizens of Montreal were predominantly Roman Catholic; in fact there were 25,699 Catholics out of a total population of 40,290. The procession, an important part of Catholic festivities, was a tremendously popular event. It takes place during the feast of Corpus Christi - or Fête-Dieu- which falls on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
Notre Dame Basilica, Montreal 2012
Stacks Image 1195
Bonsecours Church, Montreal
Philip John Bainbrigge p.111
1841
Stacks Image 652
Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Church 2012
Stacks Image 1221
Notre-Dame Street, Montreal
James Duncan
p. 115
1841
Stacks Image 143
Looking south-west along Notre Dame Street, the awning of the shops can be seen lining the south side. On the left, fronted by a low columnar stone wall, is the Château Ramesay which served as Government House and was the official residence of the Governor General. Nelson's Column looms up behind the building on the left, marking the entrance to the market. By this time, the old jail had become the Queen's Barracks. The guard house can be recognized by its Ionic columns, to be seen here in the middleground on the right.

A variety of modes of transport are depicted, the most interesting being the double set of wheels connected by chains, seen in the foreground. This contraption was used for hauling squared timber, and offered a simple means of transportation that allowed for quick and easy unloading at the building site.

In the distance can be seen the spire of Christ Church, the bell tower of the old Notre-Dame Church and one of the towers of the new Notre-Dame building.
Notre Dame Street 2012
Stacks Image 1230
Montreal from the Mountain
James Duncan
p. 117
1839
Stacks Image 146


This watercolour, taken from the western slopes of Mount Royal looks south-east towards the city and Mont Saint-Hilaire on the south shore.

The farmhouse in the middle ground may be the property of George Moffatt (1787-1865), the residuary and fiduciary legatee of John Ogilvy (about 1769-1819).
Stacks Image 1237




From Top of Mount Royal looking south-east towards the city and Mont Saint-Hilaire on the south shore. 2012
Montreal from the Mountain
Fred H. Holloway
p. 118
About 1843-1844
Stacks Image 149



This view looks down from the slopes of Mount Royal towards the city, from a point approximately where Côte-des-Neiges Road and Atwater Street meet today. The chapel in the lower right belonged to the Protestant Burial Cemetery, which was located on Dorchester Street.
Montreal from the Nun's Farm
Fred H. Holloway
p. 119
About 1843-1844
Stacks Image 152


This view looks north-east from Point St. Charles towards the city. The buildings in the left foreground are part of a complex known as St. Gabriel's Farm, or the Nun's Farm as the artist calls it. St. Gabriel's Farm belonged to the Congregation of Notre-Dame. The central section of the structure was build in 1698 and it was enlarged twice, once in 1726 and again in 1728. It is one of the few seventeenth-century structures that survives in Montreal. It is furthermore, representative of a style of architecture seen in France, particularly in Brittany, featuring high-pitched roofs and dormer windows which had a marked influence on the domestic architecture of the city.
Montreal from the River St. Lawrence
Fred H. Holloway
p. 120
About 1843-1844
Stacks Image 157


This view looks north-west across the river from the village of St. Lambert to the city. The tip of St. Helen's Island is visible on the right, with the Church of Bonsecours just beyond it.
There is very little architectural detailing shown on an of the buildings apart from the more prominent churches. The extreme regularity of Holloway's buildings suggest that he was more interested in urban span and growth than in those aspects of the city that made it unique.